Monday, October 28, 2013

Golden Child Syndrome

I have been thinking the past few days about what I call "golden child syndrome". You all know what it is, its that child who feels entitled to everything. But, it also adds a new dimension of the adults around the child allowing and even promoting that feeling of entitlement. You can see it most in only children, but I have been thinking about it from a higher standpoint. What about a grandparent to their grandchild? I have been perusing this idea lately and wondering the ramifications of it. I believe that a grandparent can show equality to all grandchildren but perhaps get along better with one than the other. Does this mean the grandparent should favor that grandchild over the others? Of course not! What about if the grandchildren are around more? That still does not give them liberty to show inequality. In my opinion grandchildren work just like your own children. It is very dangerous to favor one child over the other. In fact, I go so far as to hold my opinion of in no way should a parent show favor to any of their children over another. Not just dangerous, but down right wrong. Sure, one child may be more like you and easier to get along with, but do you love the others less or treat them differently? Certainly not. I am a mother of 3 young boys. Right now each of them have a different personality but I love them all the same. I may just communicate with them differently. I have dealt with the entitlement feeling in our own children. Without realizing it, our oldest came down with the feeling that he could get his way in every situation regardless of what anyone else thought. Boy, its rough to get them out of that feeling, but it makes for such a happier and more pleasant dynamic when it is gone. I say all this to caution myself more than anyone not to become jealous of the relationships that some grandparents have with only certain grandchildren. I must remember that my children are blessed and given to me by God to raise to grow up to love the Lord with all their heart. My husband and I must do what is best for our children to encourage their spiritual growth and desire to love the Lord without unhealthy influences and people that may compromise that premise. Sound confusing? sorry if that came out entirely jumbled, I just needed to get some thoughts out that are floating in my head.

As for the drawing?! Congratulations to someone who takes after my namesake! Holly M. has been the grand recipient of a Young Living Lavender Lip Balm. They are fantastic, I have recently tried one as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment