Friday, November 8, 2013

Don't be careful....

Do you know just how hard as a mother it is to tell your sons to not be careful?! Of course, let me say, its not that I don't want them to be careful. I definitely do not desire them to get hurt, BUT I do want them to experience life and grow up to be men! You see, I married a man. Like a manly man. A butcher by trade, a taxidermist on the side, hunter, fisher, auto repair, plumber, carpenter, overall fix it kind of man. I consider myself incredibly blessed! I never would have pictured myself with this kind of man, but now I do not want my boys to grow up any other way. I don't want them to be afraid to get their hands dirty. I want them to play in the mud, pick up frogs, go fishing, shoot deer and coyotes and squirrel, gut animals, fix stuff, take things apart and put them back together, etc. And for that to happen, they have to live! They have to experience! They have to be allowed to romp and play and get dirty! So, I tell them to go play. And by go play, I really try not to add the words be careful. God has given me a great responsibility to raise Godly men in a corrupted world. So as Caleb and I embark on this task, we start first by begging God for wisdom. Then, we involve them in all sorts of play. Right now they are playing with legos, their toy story characters and wooden blocks making a city with aliens and buzz and woody saving the day. They are learning the meaning of hero and cultivating their imagination. Its a blessing to teach them. I pray we grow Godly men who want to serve the Lord and be all they can be, while still being men. To go along with being a man, I want them to know how to treat a woman, be kind, courteous, put others before themselves, be humble, not taking pride in themselves or their accomplishments or abilities but merely having confidence that they know what they are doing. I don't want them to have to depend on others to build them up. I want them to have an incredible knowledge of the scriptures and such a deep deep love for God that they will be able to make it through life with prayer and the Word of God. People may say my desires for my boys are too high. I say no, they aren't. I think that my desires are completely realistic and that with prayer and work our sons will grow up to be men. I can already see the love of God cultivating in their hearts. Knowledge and facts will come with time. Love and passion needs to be taught now.

(I am not knocking men who aren't involved in all of the outdoors getting your hands dirty sort of things, but I am saying I prefer that kind of man and I see men becoming more and more scared of getting their hands dirty. I do not want my boys to be that way. I want them to be happy to serve and help in any way they can, which includes getting their hands dirty.)

God blesses parents with the work of raising children. It is the parents obligation to do it to the best of their ability. Caleb and I are striving to do that with Donovan, Brenden and Hank. Lord willing, in 20 years, you will see men desiring to serve God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment